You guys have been asking for it and here it is, the shot above with the A7 and the Nikkor 50mm 1.4 D at f2, the rest shot wide open, full size, after the break
Update: I added the f2 samples shot with the Nikkor, to be fair
Just in time before the sun went down, all handheld.
The file name indicates, camera, lens and aperture setting, you can also check EXIF data, please note the circular bokeh on the Nikkor 50mm 1.4 D lens, if it were stopped down, you could see the aperture blades since they aren’t circular (only on the G series).
Pixel peep, my friends and draw your own conclusions
Here are my impressions: FF with a 50mm 1.4 lens shot wide open delivers delicious bokeh, although this older Nikkor lens isn’t as sharp as the latest G version, I still prefer it because of the manual aperture ring and personally I don’t mind the light “glow” when shooting at 1.4.
The Fuji XF 35mm on the other hand, is already tack sharp wide open, although it can’t blow out the background as well as the 50mm on the FF. But the question is: does it really matter? This is something
you have to decide and it will mainly depend on the type of things you shoot. As for my own work, 90% of the time I will be just as happy with the bokeh from the Fuji/35mm combo as I would from the FF/50mm set up.
The difference simply isn’t big enough to make a significant difference in how the picture reads, remember 90% of the time, for the other 10% I wouldn’t want to give up that special extra I can get from the full frame and a large aperture lens….
What does this mean applied to the Zeiss FE 55mm 1.8? we can safely assume that the slightly longer focal length will compensate for the difference between 1.8 and 1.4 and bokeh will look just as good as on the Nikkor 50mm 1.4, it might even look better, I think the difference will be negligible.
Manual focusing on the A7 is fantastic, I turned focus peaking off because at such shallow depth of field it is more of a hindrance then help, it is however very helpful on wide angle lenses to get into the focus zone quickly.
I am not too fond of the fact that we have to press a button twice to activate magnification, this really slows things down, hopefully Sony will fix this with a firmware update. On the Fuji we only have to press the rear dial once to magnify. I am really liking the A7, even though I haven’t had enough time with it yet but the more I use it the more it reminds me of a Mamiya 7 or Fuji 645 rather then a 35mm camera. This is a good thing, especially with the A7r because one will have to operate this camera like a medium format to get the most out of it. You can click through to flicker and check out the native full resolution files, everything was shot raw and processed at default settings.
If you find this article helpful, please consider helping me maintaining this blog by purchasing your gear through my product links to Adorama and B&H. It will cost you nothing and allows me to keep adding! Or consider making a direct donation using PayPal, thank you!
lets start with the Sony A7, everything was shot wide open at 1.4
and now the Fuji X E2 with the 35mm 1.4 shot wide open
And here are the samples shot with the Nikkor 50mm f1.4 D at f2
Note the hexagonal shape on light sources.
If you find this article helpful, please consider helping me maintaining this blog by purchasing your gear through my product links to Adorama and B&H and Ebay. It will cost you nothing and allows me to keep adding! Or consider making a direct donation using PayPal, thank you!