photo | blog

Mike Kobal

April 2, 2009

About the author

Filed under: — admin @ 4:20 pm

The purpose of this blog is (mainly) to share videos shot with DSLR cameras during photo shoots. I will share my experience and talk about what is going on behind the scenes, what works for me and what doesn’t, how this new approach influences my photographs and vice versa. So far I find it very inspirational. I will also talk about lighting, new equipment, and editing software. I look forward hearing from you and will try to respond to all questions and comments. Please do not hesitate to contact me for prices on hiring me for your production.
Mike Kobal – Native Austrian born not so long ago. Lives in NYC, East Village.
Likes taking pictures, running, biking in the woods, on the road, and snowboarding. His work has been published in Nylon, Soma, Interview, Planet, and many other magazines. You can also find his work in Canada, in Block magazine, and all over Europe, in Flux, Zoot, Standard, Let them eat cake, Dong, A4, Blag, Neo2, Stylemag.net, and other magazines.

If you find this website inspiring, please consider helping me maintaining this blog by purchasing your gear through my product links to Adorama and B&H. It will cost you nothing and allows me to keep adding! Or consider making a direct donation using PayPal, thank you!

Thank you.

27 Comments »

1. I liked very much the creative use of still photography and video in the presentation. The subway coverage is great and captures many different human moments in diverse cultures–terrific documentary! Your work is very spirited and has a cool aesthetic. I’d like to see more color and features shot for fashion and beauty as well as music, which would work very well with your talent. Good luck!

Comment by Pamela Hassell — April 21, 2009 @ 2:46 pm

2. I really like your vision, and the fact you share it with the only goal , sharing.
    I am very inspired by the honesty, frankness in your video and stills. Everything is always moving, yet your point of view is usually observing all the movement and this is the perspective that let’s the viewer share what you see. I’ve been to NY but haven’t been able to experience it in a way I do through your videos. Your pictures and videos make it look like it’s fun to make images something I seem to have lost being in Paris for too long. I’d wish you luck and encouragement, but it’s clear you have more than enough of both. Thanks so much for sharing.

Comment by Neil Snape — June 27, 2009 @ 5:51 am

3. Hi, Mike! I´m a cinema and video professor and independent producer in Brazil. I liked very much your work. Your background in fashion still photography aplied in the moving form trough video is really interesting, the way you see things. I´m a DOP too, but used to worry with the narrative. That´s wy your aproach was so liberating to wacth! Keep up the good work!

Comment by CID MACHADO — July 1, 2009 @ 12:09 pm

4. Hi, Mike, I’m from China. I like your video very much, great jobs. I’v made some video with 5D Mark II as well, maybe we can have some funny chats. this my video:http://www.vimeo.com/5086837

Comment by Ben Wonghe — July 3, 2009 @ 8:02 am

5. I stumbled across the “L” video while looking for a comparison of the D90 and D5000. Very cool combination of stills and video. What program did you edit this with — WMM, FCP or iMovie? If you advertise music for sale (such as on Amazon), is it allowable to use with video on Vimeo without copyright complaints?

Comment by John Freeman — July 15, 2009 @ 12:41 pm

6. Mike great stuff, your new biggest BIKER fan!

Comment by Curt Edwards — July 16, 2009 @ 9:23 pm

7. thanks everybody for the kind words!

Comment by mike.kobal — July 16, 2009 @ 10:39 pm

8. [...] asked New York based photographer Mike Kobal, who has embraced the motion capabilities of the first generation of hslrs/hdcds in a big way, to [...]

Pingback by when mediums converge: stills-to-motion or motion-be-still « hdhd!! — July 20, 2009 @ 1:01 pm

9. thanks for sharing your interest and work. you are very talented.

Comment by Charlane Brady — October 28, 2009 @ 12:27 pm

10. Hey Mike I love your work. I reached out to you yesterday about a project I am doing for Paper mag. It is short webisode that they will pitch to their advertisers for sponsorship as a series on their website. I was hoping you could DP this project for me. I don’t have much of a budget but I would love to inquire about your rates. I will probably need you for 4 hours on the night of November 20th or 21st. What would you charge for something like that?

Feel free to call me 917.365.5679

T

Comment by trevor — November 12, 2009 @ 1:30 pm

11. Do you have rss for your blog because it’s realy interesting ! Sorry for my english i’m french.
    Very good blog, and beautiful test and video !!!!!

Comment by zutic — November 30, 2009 @ 6:34 am

12. Hello Mike,

I’m looking at making a leap to HDSLR for video and am having a tough time between the 7D and 5D, your information has helped me a lot. Still on the fence as to the camera choice, regardless I will need to decide sometime soon so for now I’ll continue to follow your blog. My background is production both pre and post but always around video, motion graphics and 3D animation. My looking at the DSLR route to have video gear in hand is exciting for me. Thanks for sharing your information.

Comment by Daniel — February 11, 2010 @ 5:03 pm

13. Mike, love your work. Looking for a videographer that can help me with a short 1-2 min wedding invite. Been emailing wedding videographers, but they’re not what I want. I’m interested in the Canon 5D Mk2 images. Have ideas. Don’t know how to contact you, please contact me at himynameisvince@gmail.com if you’re interested or know someone who might be.
    Vince

Comment by Vince — October 13, 2010 @ 1:29 pm

14. I very much enjoyed your blog. I have been trying to purchase the Voigtlander Nokton 25 mm F0.95 lens. I am unable to locate it other than on e–bay where sellers are looking for $1,600.00 US for a $1,000.00 lens. Do you have any suggestions on where I can purchase this incredible lens.

Comment by Robert Abramson — February 20, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

15. thanks Robert, got lucky when I purchased mine, just keep checking the net, should be available again in a couple of weeks. Unfortunately I don’t have a better suggestion at this point

Comment by mike.kobal — February 20, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

16. Hi Mike,
    Your blogg is just absolutely fantastic! It seems you really enjoy the new Lumix GH2 and I want to buy this body. Now I have a question (if you have 20 sec to answer it…).
    Would it be possible to use my Nokton 40 mm (Voigtlander M mount) on it without or with an adapter ring?

Shooting HD videos with a classic lens is really something appealing to me!

Thank you for all the valuable informations we can find on you blog! Keep on posting…

JP

Comment by Jean-Pierre Novelli — June 11, 2011 @ 3:44 am

17. thanks Jean, yes, you can, but you will need the M to M43 adapter (look for it on ebay)

Comment by mike.kobal — June 11, 2011 @ 10:02 am

18. Hello Mike,

seems we both like the 5N. How is your take on the aliasing? What video editor do you mainly use?

Uwe

PS: mail to mike.kobal@verizon.net bounced

Comment by Uwe Steinmueller — October 18, 2011 @ 4:28 pm

19. Hey Uwe, how are you? yes, I like it very much, I use pp an ae for everything didn’t do specific aliasing tests and haven’t noticed anything terrifying yet

Comment by mike.kobal — October 18, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

20. Hejsa Mike
    What photo cameras (your own equipment) do you use for your work.
    Best Regards from Jess, Denmark

Comment by Jess Demant Aggeboe — March 13, 2012 @ 2:59 pm

21. Hi Mike,

I just saw this and thought of you as I know how much you enjoy your NEX cameras http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2012/03/new-gear-rewo-cage-sony-nex-7 Looks like they make some really nice cages/protection for a range of cameras. I’ve never seen one in real life but the set-up that they show on their site and Flickr page look impressive.

All the best,

Damien

Comment by Damien — March 16, 2012 @ 7:39 am

22. thanks for this Damien, they do! let’s hope they will put it into production.

Comment by mike.kobal — March 16, 2012 @ 8:20 am

23. Hey!

Im trying to build a video rig for my ned-7 and was directed to you.

I saw a photo of a rig you had and was wondering what was entailed with constructing such a device!

Comment by Chris — February 7, 2013 @ 12:18 am

24. check out this rig

Comment by mike.kobal — February 7, 2013 @ 1:04 am

25. Hello Mike,

As you often speak about the GH2, i would like to share my first video made by this camera with the Voigtlaänder 25 mm F0.95. Please feel free to comment or to share ! And thank you for this and for your job on your blog, always interesting ! : )
    here is the link : vimeo.com/60173348
    Fred

Comment by Fred — February 28, 2013 @ 10:06 am

26. Love your blog. Thought you might dig my short film(s) “Helmut Roar”, both shot entirely with DSLR’s, and inspired by the photography of Helmut Newton.

Helmut Roar (Part I) – https://vimeo.com/61871998
    Hlmut Roar (Part II) – https://vimeo.com/61871168

Have a great day!
    - Jordan C.

Comment by Jordan Chesney — October 26, 2013 @ 3:11 pm

27. Thanks Jordan! Lovely clips :)

Comment by mike.kobal — October 26, 2013 @ 4:01 pm